Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Watermelon Slush

I have a ton of watermelon in my fridge just begging me to eat it.  I have eaten so much of it this summer I think I might explode.  So I decided to make something with it to make it a little more exciting.  This Watermelon Slush is a perfect ending to a beautiful summer day.


Ingredients:
7 cups watermelon, cubed
1/2 cup sugar
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/4 tsp salt

Zest the lime being careful not to zest the white bitter part.  If you're like me and don't have a microplane, a box grater works perfectly.  Zesting is much easier if done before juicing as you have a solid lime to hold on to, rather than a floppy rind.



Juice the lime. 


In a blender, blend watermelon, sugar, salt, and the lime zest and juice.


Empty the juice into a 13 x 9 inch pan and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours, scraping with a fork every 30 minutes.  This helps make ice crystals rather than one huge ice cube.


Eventually it will come out looking like shaved ice.


Scoop into a glass and enjoy as a special summer treat.  It can even be made into an alcoholic beverage by adding a splash of your favorite spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I made this slush for a girl's night out party and it went over very well. A couple girls added vodka but it's delicious on its own. Will definitely make it again!

    ReplyDelete