Thursday, August 16, 2012

Kale Chips

One of my most favorite midnight snacks to eat is chips.  Unfortunately, they are not the healthiest of things to eat.  So I try to experiment with different ingredients to provide that crispy, salty, munchy snack that is okay to go back for seconds.  And thirds...

Kale chips is one such snack.


They are one of the easiest things to make, and I have made them about eight times just this past month alone.  It helps a lot having a mom who loves to garden and grows bountiful amounts of veggies; enough to supply the whole family, friends, and even the neighbors.  When she gives me bags of kale I know that kale chips will be next on the list of things to make.

Ingredients:
a bunch of kale
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
salt, season to your taste

Wash and thoroughly dry kale.


Rip leaves off from main stem into bite size pieces.


Pour 1 tbs olive oil onto leaves, mix around with hands.


Add salt to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp) and mix with hands again to evenly coat.  Spread leaves evenly on baking sheet.

*Side note - I realllyyy hate doing dishes.  So I avoid creating extra dirty dishes at all costs.  For this I just mixed everything right on the baking sheet.  If you prefer to mix the kale in a bowl first, go for it.  You will just have another dish to wash.

Place baking sheet in oven at 350 for 15 minutes.  Toss leaves around and place back in the oven until edges are crisp but not burnt.


Now all you have to do is pop in a good movie, sit back, and snack away without all the guilt of eating Lays.  I will be watching The Pelican Brief, which is of course, a Julia Roberts movie!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I just made these and can't stop eating them! They are so light, crispy and flavorful, it's like eating tasty air! I'm going to make another batch! Thank you for this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light and crispy is a great way to describe them! They can become quite addicting!

      Delete