Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shredded Cabbage Soup

Today has been a perfect day.  I have been lounging around in sweatpants and slippers, wrapped in a blanket and enjoying this windy, stormy afternoon.  What better dish to enjoy on a rainy day than a warm cup of soup with late season garden vegetables. This is my mom's recipe and is definitely a family favorite.


Ingredients:
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 tbs bacon fat (or butter)
1 small head green cabbage, roughly shredded, about 5 cups
2 carrots, sliced
2 potatoes, cubed
1 celery stalk, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 cups beef broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper

Saute the onions in the bacon fat until tender.  While that is cooking, chop up all the vegetables.



When the onions are tender, add in the beef broth, water, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and celery.  Bring to a boil and then simmer with a lid on for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.



Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.  Let simmer with the lid off for 10 more minutes.


I like to put parmesan on top, as I do for any soup.  This soup can be easily varied with any thing you have on hand (my fiance added salami).  Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I made this exact soup today too! Rainy weather always gets me in the mood and with cabbage and carrots in the garden, it makes easy work! Love you...Mom :-D

    ReplyDelete