Friday, September 14, 2012

Lulu's Horribly Good Cookies

Several years ago I was visiting family in Salem, MA, a beautiful city full of history and culture.  Better yet, Salem is home to one of the best bakeries I have ever come across.  Unfortunately, I do not even know the name of it.  I was probably 10 years old, my family and I were walking down a sidewalk near the ocean that was lined with cute little shops.  We came across some packaged goodies for sale on a table in front of a bakery and took a quick look to see what they had.  We found these huge chocolate chip cookies called Horribly Good Cookies.  This sparked our interest and we entered the store to ask the woman why they are called "Horribly Good."  Her reply was that they are so incredibly chocolatey that either people think they are just horrible, or people think they are wicked good!  Being lovers of chocolate we decided to buy several cookies.  Upon opening the bag and sinking my teeth into what I assumed was just a chocolate chip cookie was the biggest surprise a 10 year old could have.  The cookie was actually stuffed with a brownie!  I decided that my mission in life was to try to figure out how to replicate that Horribly Good Cookie from the bakery in Salem.  I think I have finally created a replica that will suit my desire for these cookies, though nothing will beat the surprise of that first bite I had on the beach with my family all those years ago.


Ingredients:
box brownie mix (or make your own!)
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour
1 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
white sugar, for sprinkling 

Cookie dough mix can be used if you want to make it easier for yourself, but my chocolate chip cookie recipe is killer.

Make your brownie mix according to the directions on the package, but under bake it by a couple minutes.  Let them cool completely.  I use Betty Crocker Ultimate Fudge because it not only has chocolate chips in it, but it also has fudge.  What could be any better?  Oh yea.. putting it inside a cookie.


To make the cookie dough, cream together the butter and sugars.  Add in one egg at a time and mix until each is incorporated.  Mix in the vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.  Slowly stir in one cup of flour at a time.


Once all flour is mixed in, gently incorporate chocolate chips.


Cut the ooey gooey brownies into 2 x 2 inch squares.


Sandwich a brownie square between two balls of cookie dough and squish, sealing in the brownie.


These will be huge cookies so place them far apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle the tops with sugar.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.


They are enormous!


Let them cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. 


Pour yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy the Horribly Good Cookie!

5 comments:

  1. omg these look so good and this is something I could do! I cant wait until the next holiday or special occasion so I could make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really hate that you do all this cooking now, where were those cookies when i was there :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think I speak for all of your bridesmaids that we would like some of these cookies when we are up there next!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of using brownie mix for cookies, but never tried it. Now I really need to. The cookies look perfect.

    ReplyDelete