Monday, November 19, 2012

Meyer Lemon Chess Pie

Last year at about this time I decided that I needed to add a new plant to brighten up my indoor garden.  I wanted something unique and with pizazz, and with that I went online and bought a Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree.  It came as a one-year-old twig with 3 leaves on it and has since grown into the most awkward looking plant I ever did lay my eyes upon.  With one branch sticking out so far that it is longer than the main trunk itself, the tree is growing askew.  This poor tree requires supports and stakes to keep it upright, and because it has managed to flower and grow 9 beautiful lemons it is weighed down even more.  My first 3 lemons ripened this week, the rest to ripen soon.  I was so excited to have homegrown (in upstate New York!!) Meyer lemons that I absolutely had to make a variation of the American classic Chess Pie.  Meyer lemons are sweeter and less acidic than regular lemons.

Ingredients:
1 9" Pillsbury Pie Crust
3 1/2 tsp cornmeal
1 tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp grated zest (2 Meyer lemons)
4 eggs
4 tbs melted butter
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice

My beautiful Meyer lemons!


That came from this awkward tree...


To make the chess pie, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, and salt.


Stir in the lemon zest.  With a mixer, beat in one egg at a time.


Juice the lemons.  Stir in the half and half, melted butter, and lemon juice.  The mixture should thicken slightly.


Prepare the crust by placing it into a 9" pie pan and gently pushing it into the corners.


Pour the mixture into the prepared shell.


Curl down the extra crust.


Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, placing it on the bottom shelf of the oven so it's closer to the heating element.  It should be slightly jiggly when done.  Cool on a cooling rack.


Serve with whipped cream for extra sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment